Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute
Computer Science Field, Cornell University
111 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
He was the Chief Scientist of RSA (The Security Division of EMC), Director of RSA Laboratories, and a Distinguished Engineer at EMC, where he worked until 2013. He received his Ph.D. in computer science from U.C. Berkeley in 1996.
His recent areas of interest include “big data” security analytics, virtual currency and financial cryptography, cybersecurity, cloud security, user authentication, privacy, medical-device security, biometric security, and RFID / NFC security.
In 2004, MIT’s Technology Review Magazine named Dr. Juels one of the world’s top 100 technology innovators under the age of 35. Computerworld honored him in its “40 Under 40″ list of young industry leaders in 2007. He has received other distinctions, but sadly no recent ones acknowledging his youth.
My interests broadly span security, privacy, and cryptography. A few of the research areas I’m now exploring are:
- Virtual currency: Bitcoin is intriguing, but just one point in a large design space of financial instruments. How might we make virtual currencies better and more relevant to ordinary users, regulators, and banks?
- Honey objects: How can we create fake data that deceive adversaries, and how can we use counterintelligence to defend real-world systems against breaches and inside attackers?
- Post-privacy systems: If privacy erodes to the point of indefensibility, how can we enforce fair use of data and fair decision-making?
- Cloud security: How can cloud providers best provide security for their tenants? How can tenants best protect themselves from threats in the cloud?
- Security, privacy, and physiology: I’m interested broadly in data security perspectives on biometrics, neuroscience, and medical data.
In order to work with me or any other faculty member in the CS field as a Ph.D. student, you must first be accepted into the Cornell CS program. Only students already enrolled in the Cornell Computer Science department, therefore, are eligible to join my group in NYC.